This is an excellent new book that Jerry Olson has recommended – The Optimism Bias by Tali Sharot.
Among the ideas discussed:
- The Introspection Illusion – a sense that we are aware of the processes underlying our mental states
- The malleability of memory – even so-called flashbulb memories
- The connection between control and optimism (people feel more optimistic about things they can control)
- Why optimistic cancer patients tend to outlive those who are pessimistic
- The power of anticipation – why we’re happier on Fridays than on Sundays
Good stuff – and an easy, relatively quick read.